New England Women's Auxiliary Association photograph album.
Corporate Authors : U. S. Sanitary Commission ; May, Abby W. 1829-1888.
Boston : sp, sd — ca 1862-1866.
Description : 42 [l.] in album ; 14.5 x 9.5 cm.
Photographs : 42 cartes-de-visite, 10 x 6 cm.
Photographers : varia ; Edward L. Allen (active ca 1860s-1890s) ; James Wallace
Black 1825-1896 ; John Adams Whipple, 1822-1891.
Repository : Massachusetts Historical Society.
Subject : Military Medicine — U. S. Sanitary Commission, Civil War, 1860-1865.
- Album apparently owned by Abby W. May.
- 39 photos are of individual members, mostly women officers of the Auxiliary.
- 3 photos are of Sanitary Commission buildings in Newbern, N.C. and elsewhere.
- Caption information provided for most of the photographs.
- URL of the Massachusetts Historical Society : http://www.masshist.org
- Abby W. May was a leader in Boston reform circles and the sister of the
abolitionist Rev. Samuel May, Jr. (1810-1899).
- Individuals represented include A. L. Holmes, Annie T. Endicott, L.N. Goodwin,
Abby S. Stephenson, Anne D. Sever, and Louisa L. Schuyler.
©All rights reserved.